Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Looking backwards pt.1

I've been thinking about getting healthy a lot, as most people do around this time of year. However, I prefer to think in terms of how far I've come.

This time last year, I had just started boot camp. I forced myself to go every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, struggling to wake myself from my afternoon nap to go. I couldn't hold a plank, I couldn't do a squat, I couldn't last the whole 20 minute work out.

This time last year, I hadn't even thought about running a marathon. I hadn't run seriously probably ever, though I had played with a jog around the block every once in a while.

This time last year, I had no idea how badly I ate. I counted calories, but I had zero idea of what actually fueled my body and why. I ate because I wanted to, not because I needed to. And I ate way too much.

This time last year I hated my body. I hated the way it looked, the way it moved, the way clothes fit it. I hated the way it felt, and I hated that I didn't know how to make it feel better.

Today, I'm upset if I miss a day at bootcamp. And when the club goes on a break, I get antsy and actually WANT to work out on my own. And I find myself needing to push harder and harder to get to the point of exhaustion. I am stronger. I am fitter. I am better every day. Today I don't need a nap, and instead find myself trying to fill in the time between work and bootcamp.

Today, I can say I've completed a marathon. Not only that, but I consider myself a runner. I don't run nearly as often as I should in the cold weather, but I'm already chomping at the bit to get out and stretch my legs with ten miles.

Today, I have a better idea of what fuels my body, and I'm not afraid to be hungry. I can actually feel the difference in my body and strength when I eat things that are bad for me, and know better what I should eat. And when.

Today, my pants are smaller, my clothes fit looser and look better. I can actually walk into a store, almost any store, and find something that fits. That fact alone makes me want to cry when I think of all the years growing up that I hated shopping because nothing fit.

My goal in starting this was to appreciate my body and what it could do for me. I have a long way to go, but sometimes we have to remember where we started in order to see that what we have left isn't as scary as what we've already accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment